Tuesday, November 5, 2013

determined obedience


In 2011 we went home to New Jersey burnt out and exhausted to our very souls.  All we wanted to do was get jobs in Walmart or Home Depot and forget that Africa existed.   However that fateful summer was a turning point for us.  Through various people that we know and trust completely God confirmed His will for us to come back to Africa.  
 
With bloody knuckled determined obedience we got on a plane and came back here.  I compare that time to when we first arrived in Africa four years prior.  We were all doe eyed and dreamy about God’s plan.  “Of course all will go well, we are in God’s will”


In 2011 all we had was that God had told us to come back and the peace that comes with obedience.   It was like this  “Go or stay. I will love you no matter what.  But if you stay you will miss out BIG TIME!  You will always wonder WHAT IF!?”  

So you would think, wow, NOW it will all come together and make sense.....WRONG!!!!!  For roughly the next six months we were put in a holding pattern of frustration and angst.  

Here is my point........I am grateful for that time!  TRULY!  I am!!!



I have learned life lessons that only the fire of adversity can burn into a person’s soul.  

What would those things be Myranda?

Well, along with learning how to make my own cockroach bait and yogurt and a really awesome pumpkin soup, I think the one that ranks highest on my list is this.... 

Full time ministry has taught me that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH ME!   God didn’t call my family to Zambia because we were so spiritually gifted.  NO!  I firmly believe that Lusaka has been the place for us because this is where we have had to learn lessons of humility and brokenness that have changed our outlooks on life forever.  

Where does that leave us now? 
Streetwise (the ministry we have started) has taken off in ways that has our heads spinning!  I can’t tell you how many times Luis and I just sit in amazement at the things God has been doing that are WAY beyond us!   In January we will begin a second outreach spot.  There are pockets of kids all over the city! 

In addition to this we are also working to begin a trade school.  God has gifted Luis in carpentry and I have been shocked to learn that I have artistic talent.  So we are combining these two to make wooden signs, serving trays and decorative items for the home.  We have had our stuff out on the market for a little over a month and the response we are getting has been awesome!  I know have a list of back orders that can’t be filled until early next year. 

Our goal is to teach the kids these skills, combined with discipleship training so that they can go and start their own business or simply discover the gifts that God has given them and run with it.  

This is actually a dream we have had since before we got married!  NO JOKE!  

We will be writing more on this in the future, but I wanted to “prime the pump” so to speak and get you all thinking and praying about this incredible project that God has birthed in our hearts.  

How can you pray specifically? 

  • We need tools.....we are actually working on compiling a specific list of things we need.  Please let me know if you are interested in looking at it.  
  • We need a place to work out of.  Right now we work out of our house.  As we don’t have street kids working with us yet it is ok, but we are going to need a separate space sooner than we think
  • We need a new work vehicle.  


As always.....WE LOVE YOU GUYS MORE THAN YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your support and encouragement keeps our heads afloat!  Like I always say
A missionary is only as effective as the people supporting them! 
(maybe I should put that on a sign?)

You guys are awesome and we love you dearly! 

SEE YOU IN DECEMBER!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

meet John

Meet John.  We don't know much about John other than he was a child living on the streets of Lusaka.    John represents the face of cou...