Wednesday, February 29, 2012

weak and foolish


God has put it on our hearts to go every week, once a week, and spend the morning with the kids praying and hearing their hearts.  So, for 6 weeks we have been doing that faithfully and will continue to do so until God tells us what to do next.  
In asking the kids what they want, I was honestly expecting things like new clothes, food, shoes, and all that....but honestly, they haven’t been asking for “things”, these kids want CHURCH!  They want a place that is theirs, a place where they can go and be accepted for who they are, where they are.  They WANT the word of God, not religion.  How will that play out?  Not a solitary clue...I have my ideas and they are good ones, but I want to wait until God makes it clear to go in that direction.  It would ROCK to have a store front church!  Don’t you think?  Please pray for God’s direction and wisdom!  My biggest fear is to get ahead of God and starting forcing ideas and plans onto the people when they don’t want them.  
Yesterday when I listened to Luis share God’s heart with the boys out of Psalm 139, I was blown away by the sense that we are on a ride that can’t be stopped.  We choose to step out in faith and obey God.  The rest is up to Him.  And it for DANG CERTAIN isn’t because Luis and I are so unique and special...we have not a single clue what we are doing.  
This was in my Bible reading for this morning 

“Brothers, think of what you were when you were called.  Not many of you were wise by human standards, not many     were influential, not many were of noble birth, but God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise.  God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.  He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things and the things that are not, to nullify the things that are, so that no one way boast before him.  It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus.  Who has become for us wisdom, from God, that is our righteousness, holiness and redemption.” 
I Corinthians 1:26-30
It is a humbling thing to me when the Lord of all creation chooses to use us to further His kingdom.  It is by no means and easy or light thing.  Yet, “for the joy set before Him, He endured the cross”.  I want to daily pick up my cross, walk humbly before Jesus and watch what he does in the lives of people around me.  We serve an awesome and amazing God!  
p.s. Remember Joe?  He is the “leader” of the street kids.  PLEASE PRAY for him!  I know that God’s hand is on his life.  He respects Luis and listens to him.  When he gets saved he will be a force to reckon with, of that I am sure!  He hasn’t hit rock bottom yet though.  

1 comment:

  1. excellent approach. wish more churches states side would take that approach, rather than just create ministries that "they" want to do, rather than what the people want to do.
    billy boone

    ReplyDelete

meet John

Meet John.  We don't know much about John other than he was a child living on the streets of Lusaka.    John represents the face of cou...